Monday, June 16, 2014

To Be A Pioneer- June 2, 2014

Family and Friends!

This week I can´t help but use two primary children´s songs about the pioneers. (Yes I know we have more than a month until pioneer day.) 
 
This week has been full of blessings and excitement and may I say more than a little bit of walking.
There are a lot of people here in Petrópolis that are changing my life each day as I get to know them better. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be here. These faithful people here in Brazil are often spiritual pioneers in their families. Sometimes I feel like I pioneer because of the amount of walking that I do, especially this week.
 
Being a pioneer doesn´t mean you have to be the first memeber in your family nor does it mean that you have to walk across the plains in extreme weather conditions. Being a pioneer has more to do with the faith that you hold in your heart. Do you have the courage to give up everything (poularity, fame, fortune) for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the will of God. Do you have the faith that through even the hardest of trials everything will all be worth it? 
 
The lessons that we learn from our pioneer predececors is more that walking and giving up worldly goods. It has everything to do with their legacy of unwavering faith and courage in the face of immeasurable trials. We all can make the choice to be a modern day pioneer. A person that will stand up for what is right even when you are seemingly alone is a pioneer. A person that looks at a seemingly inconquerable trial and says `the Lord is at my side´ is a modern day pioneer. 

As I have thought about our pioneer predececors and the example and legacy they left us. I initially thought about how much I was walking. I did the math and thought wow, here in Brazil I will walk just about as much as the pioneers that crossed the plains. But as I have pondered their legacy (as I have been walking) I think what they would truly want for me to learn is from their faith and courage. Do I have the courage to be obedient, steadfast, and faithful to all my covenants, the commandments, and even the mission rules? Do I have the faith that even though trials have, are, and will come my way that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father will provide a way not only to get through them but conquer them? In my heart I have found the answer... YES! I will take courage to stand. I will hold on to my faith and trust in God. And one day, if I continue in courage and faith, I will arrive in Zion just like the pioneers.
 
You don´t have to push a hand cart,
Leave your family dear,
Or walk a thousand miles or more
To be a Pioneer

You do have to have great courage
Faith to conquer fear
And work with might for a cause that´s right 
To be a pioneer

This week was full with a little bit more walking than normal, but it is all great fun! We worked a lot in a part of our area far away from our house this week. We have 3 investigators out there and we picked up some new ones too! I remember walking back and thinking about how much I wanted to sit down. We were walking down a dirt road and it seemed like it would never end. But that walk was totally worth it because the faith of God´s children and my faith were strengthened that day.
 
Then the next night our investigator Cristiano was going to have an interview. When he didn´t show up at the set time. Sister Marinho and I walked all the way to his house which is about 20 minutes from the church and then walked around his entire neighborhood trying to find him. But we didn´t. But I learned that it is one thing to help investigators by teaching them and another to walk and walk and walk trying to find them. 
 
Sunday morning we agreed to help an investigator find the church because they just moved to Manaus. After 30 minutes of walking in the opposite direction of the church building to find them, they said that they could´t make it that day. So we then walked 50 minutes to the church building. During this entire time our neighbors dog was following us. Seeing as there are lots of street dogs here, one pack of dogs wouldn´t let him pass their street. When we arrived home last night he still hadn´t returned home. We then spent 2 hours of our weekly planning time looking for the dog. Needless to say I gained a new appreciation for the pioneers and how much they walked each day.
 
During all of this walking time I truly have learned the power of singing while walking or doing whatever activity. I have gained a testimony that if we sing as we do our work, play, and things that are hard the Spirit of the Lord will be with us more strongly and we will have a stronger disposition to serve those around us. We will find great strength as we sing.
 
Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.
Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.
They washed at streams and worked and played.
Sunday they camped and read and prayed.
Week after week they sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.

 
Remember the Lord loves you and the Church is true!
Love 
Sister Nay
 

Segue anexo a foto da Conferência de Manaus

 


Mais Pictures:




 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment