Monday, November 18, 2013

First Area Week 8- With All the Power of Heart and Tongue (9-23-2013)



Family and Friends!!

I know I say it every week, but it has been another great week here in Ohio! The tiny miracles of each day are what make life so sweet to live. So I know this song isn't sung very often at Church, but I love the words! And for those of you who know me pretty well, Rob Gardner did a pretty awesome arrangement of this song :D

With all the pow'r of heart and tongue,
I'll praise my Maker in my song.
Angels shall hear the notes I'll raise,
Approve the song, and join the praise.

I'll sing thy truth and mercy, Lord;
I'll sing the wonders of thy word.
Not all thy works and names below
So much thy pow'r and glory show.
Amidst a thousand snares I stand,
Upheld and guided by thy hand.
Thy words my fainting soul revive
And keep my dying faith alive.

So this week we taught our normal people and didn't pick up any new investigators, but we were able to finally start teaching a less active family that we have been talking to for 2 months. The Davis family has an 8 year old who hasn't been baptized and they haven't come to Church in so long that he really has no idea about anything. But when we were teaching the message of the Restoration he got so excited. He started flipping through the Book of Mormon right there, it was way cool! Now we are just trying to get them to come to Church.

It was Sister Robert's birthday this week and let's just say that it was really awesome! One of our former's remembered that it was her birthday and invited us over for dinner and brownies. We got to talk to them a little bit and they want us to come back and teach again! It was way cool! Also one of our less actives said that she wants to come to church. She has some really bad medical problems that confine her to her home and last time the Sisters asked her if she wanted to go to church she threw a wild fit of reasons why she couldn't go. On Sister Robert's birthday she said if she could get a ride with someone she would come! We also went to another area in Ohio to talk to the Young Women about going on missions. Don't worry we got President Topham's permission. The YW were great and 3 said that they want to go on missions, it was way cool!

Also this week one of the less actives that we are working with came with us to the lesson with our new investigator that we picked up last week, Linda. Michelle and Linda have been friends for a long time, so Michelle offered to come with us. I truly believe one of the best ways for a less active to decide to come back to church is for them to be involved in helping us teach others and bearing their own testimonies! It was way awesome and I know it helped Michelle a lot.

It has been all I can do to save the best for last. I know this week sounds pretty great anyways, but the events of yesterday morning could possibly be one of the crowning moments that I experience on the mission. Our ever strong investigator Brother Vanstone, who is married to a member, has made incredible progress in the past week. For some background, Sister Roberts committed B.Vanstone to not drinking beer for just one football game this year just to try it. That was about 4 weeks before I came and he was not into living the Word of Wisdom at all.  Well, football season has started and he has watched many games. On Monday, B. Vanstone told us that he hasn't had any beer yet and he wants to go the whole season without drinking! If that doesn't take your breath away then just wait until you hear what happened yesterday morning. 

Yesterday morning I was calling all the people that we are working with to see if they were coming to church. When I called the Vanstones, Brother Vanstone said that his wife was sick and his step-son was not coming but he was on his way. It took all that I had in me to not fall to my knees and cry while I was still on the phone with him. Amongst many other things, Brother Vanstone was coming to church alone! He never has done that in the 5 months that missionaries have been working with him. Brother Vanstone came to church on his free will alone! That alone would have made my week, but that is not all! 

After a beautiful Primary Program for Sacrament meeting, Brother Vanstone asked to talk to us. I am going to give some more background. Brother Vanstone has PTSD, ADHD, and slight dyslexia so he has struggles to read the Book of Mormon on a regular basis without listening to it. He told us that he has been reading it everyday, without listening to the CDs that we gave him. WHAT! I was so ecstatic, but it only gets better. About 2 months ago, right after I got to this area, we found out that he had never prayed and we have been struggling to get him to do so ever since. Again, it was all I had in me to stay calm and react in a dignified manner when he said this... He told us that he had started to pray and that even though he feels pretty awkward doing it, he is going to keep trying! I have never been so grateful for the power of prayer in my entire life. We have been praying ever since we found out about his prayer problems that he would find the strength and the courage to pray, and he finally has! 

Heavenly Father loves each of us so much and He sends angels both human and heavenly to minister to the hearts of the children of men. I just can't believe that He has allowed me to see some of the greatest miracles on earth. While healing the sick is really awesome, changing the hearts of men is beyond amazing to watch! So, " With all the pow'r of heart and tongue,I'll praise my Maker in my song. Angels shall hear the notes I'll raise, Approve the song, and join the praise. Amidst a thousand snares I stand,Upheld and guided by thy hand. Thy words my fainting soul revive And keep my dying faith alive!" Not only do I praise my maker for all of the wonderful things that He has allowed me to witness, I know that even in the midst of some of the most discouraging moments He stands right beside all of us. He allows us to see these touching moments of life to keep our faith alive to keep going!

Love you all! And Remember the Lord loves you and the church is true!

Sister Nay

No comments:

Post a Comment